How to Eliminate Bathroom Sewer Odors
When a bathroom smells like a sewer that’s real cause for concern. Fortunately, we can identify and eliminate the odor for you.
Why Does My Bathroom Smell Like a Sewer?
Once you’ve established that it smells like sewer gas you’ll want to isolate the cause really fast. The fumes from hydrogen sulfide aka H2S leaves a rotten eggs smell that can quickly deaden your sense of smell and become deadly. It’s flammable, toxic and is responsible for the deaths of countless workers every year.
Generally speaking, you’re likely to experience the following symptoms:
- shortness of breath
- heart palpitations
What Causes Sewer Odors in the Bathroom
So you’re standing there wondering what the cause of the unbearable smell in your bathroom. It could be one of a bunch of different issues. Sewer gas odors in the bathroom are often caused by:
- A burst pipe can be a real nightmare but we have cameras to quickly check this for you to alleviate any anxieties you might have about the situation
- Damaged pipes from tree root growth into your sewer pipes. If you’ve got close trees this is definitely worth inspection with our sewer camera inspection equipment.
- The primary sewer main has collapsed, deteriorated, deformed, or bellied.
- Water evaporation inside the p-trap pipe permeating out
We’ve seen instances where it’s more than one of the above. A sewer inspection with Piper Plumbing will isolate the problem and allow you to make an informed decision.
How to Remove the Smell of Sewer in the Bathroom
Home Solutions to Eliminating Sewer Odors
There’s a lot of options to consider for how to get rid of sewer smells in the bathroom. We describe many of them below.
Most Popular Do It Yourself Sewer Smell Solutions
If it seems like a simple problem try a couple of these out to eliminate and remove bathroom odors.
- Broken Sewer Seal Fix: If there’s a broken seal around your toilet in the caulk or the wax ring on your toilet then it means water waste build-up such as urine could be growing nasty bacteria leaving you with the nasty smell. Consider applying a bead of caulking around it to eliminate the exposed area. However, if you suspect it’s more than that definitely give us a call. A broken seal can break down and make a real mess in a home while you’re away.
- P-Trap Sewer Smell Fix: If you’re experiencing a nasty sewer smell from a bathroom that’s pretty much never used then chances are it’s from evaporation. Try running some water and soap down the drain it’s thoroughly run through. If it’s clogged then give us a call and we’ll come inspect it with our drain camera.
Sewer Gas Smell. Should I Call a Plumber?
Focus On Eliminating Sewer Odors
The presence of rotten egg smell permeating from the bathroom sewer can be dangerous! H2S deadens the sense of smell and can be deadly if not addressed. If you smell rotten eggs coming from your bathroom sewer then it’s time to call a plumber to treat the problem.